In honor of those who have served our country, the Larimer SBDC has researched some powerful statistics about veterans who have come home to start businesses within our state and nationally.
- – 9.1% of all business owners in the United States are veterans as of 2012
- – 7.1% of these veterans are under the age of 35
- – 4.4% of veteran business owners are women
- – Veteran business owners are more likely to produce goods as opposed to services
- – 10.3% of veterans own more than one business, compared with only 7.4% of non-veterans
- – According to 2007 U.S. Census data, veteran owned businesses are responsible for contributing 1.2 trillion dollars to the United States economy
- – Colorado has 48,803 small businesses owned exclusively by veterans as of 2007 U.S. Census data
- — These business contribute an estimated $23 billion to the Colorado economy
- — They also employ 96,373 people, with an annual payroll of $3.6B
- — Approximately 38,000 Colorado veteran owned businesses are owned and operated as sole proprietors, and these businesses generate $2 billion dollars in sales annually
Lichtenstein, Jules. “Profile of Veteran Business Owners.” Issue Briefs 1 (2013).
United States Census Bureau. Survey of Business Owners – Veterans. Washinton DC: United States Census Bureau, 2007.